My friend Zeb has been really getting into her Slowcooker / crockpot recently, and I just remembered I was going to share one of my favourite slowcooker recipes with her. It occurred to me I should share it with the class!
Corned Beef is by no means the sexiest foods on the planet… in fact, it’s probably in an “Unsexiest Foods” list somewhere in Internet land! BUT, when you cook it slowly, it can be very edible – and not just edible – good!!
It’s not just a Winter meal either – serve in Summer with a nice Coleslaw or serve in a sandwich with some mustard. Yum yum!
- 1.5kg piece of corned beef (also known as Silverside)
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Red Onion, diced (that way you don’t need to precook onion)
- Garlic , 2 cloves
- A few Bayleaves
- 1Tbsp Horseraddish (optional)
- Vegetables of your choosing – cut up a few potatoes, maybe a couple of carrots & put them in the bottom (however many you can fit with the beef on top!!) Winter veges work best.
- Turn your Slowcooker to Low (you’ll be cooking for 8 hours)
- Rinse the Corned Beef thoroughly, pat dry
- Place your vegetables on the bottom of the cooker, then the beef, then the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover & Cook for 8 hours
But wait, there’s more! Use the stock to make a Sauce:
You’ll need some: Butter, Flour, Mustard & a little sugar
- Melt some butter – about 3 Tablespoons should do it. Add 3 tablespoons of Flour, whisk.
- Add about 1/2 Cup stock through a strainer, whisk
- Add another 1/2 Cup of stock
- Whisk in 2 Tablespoons of Mustard
- Add a teaspoon or two of Sugar (to taste – if you overdo the sugar, add a bit of vinegar to balance it out)
Annoyingly, my camera ran out of battery once I had cooked it! C’est la vie
OH – if you’re arriving at this website for the first time, how about reading my super cool, super FREE online magazine? Check it out here
**PS: If this is your first time, you should totally check out my free e-mag!